How It Started 40 Years Ago
Founders, Murray and Edna Black
The Soup Kitchen is a program of the 9-10 Club Serving Soup to the Hungry Society. The Society is a registered non-profit, non-denominational charity.
After watching two men searching for food in a restaurant dumpster, the late Murray Black and his wife Edna wondered how they could help the hungry. They discovered that Victoria had no organizations dedicated to feeding those in need. Murray and Edna felt that if only one meal a day was available, it should be a hearty soup.
Their vision was the start of The Soup Kitchen. Meal services started on Friday, November 12, 1982. It is the oldest, completely volunteer-run food resource for the hungry in Victoria
Diners include seniors, low-income workers, people unhoused and anyone else living at risk in Victoria. Everyone is welcome!
- Our diners, include seniors, low-income workers, people unhoused and anyone else living at risk in Victoria.
- Our dedicated volunteers who pick up bread, cook and clean, prepare meals and then serve our guests.
- The generous individuals and businesses who donate funds to the Soup Kitchen.
- The valued businesses like COBS Bread Bakery and the Dutch Bakery who donate food supplies to the Soup Kitchen.
- St. Andrew’s Cathedral, our landlord.
- Business partners, including food suppliers, security, banking, and financial investment.
- Community partners, including Our Place and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Federal, provincial, and municipal governments.
- 9-10 Club Serving Soup to the Hungry Board of Directors.
The Soup Kitchen is a registered charitable organization in Canada (Charitable Registration Number 132001553 RR0001) and a registered society in British Columbia.
A volunteer Board of Directors, elected to a 2-year term, provides financial stewardship and sets governing policies.
2022-2023 Board of Directors
- Gordon MacNeil, Chair
- Teri Hustins, Past Chair
- Laurel Nash, Vice Chair
- Dan Hickey, Treasurer
- Gerry Poulton, Secretary
- Sheila Connelly, Operations Co-ordinator
- Stefani Hartwig
- Alexandra Banford
- Keith Hutchinson
- Susan Nawrocki
The Soup Kitchen serves on the unceded territory of the Lkwungen (Lekwungen) peoples, and the Songhees, Esquimalt, and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations.